Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu

Criminal record disclosure

Listing page 1

How do I get a copy of my criminal record?  Task

This information applies to England and Wales. The process is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland and are applying for a job in the rest of the UK, follow this advice. 

I have been referred to the Disclosure and Barring Service, what does this mean?  Task

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) maintains lists of people that are barred from work involving children or vulnerable adults, also called ‘regulated activity’.  

I have been unsuccessful in my job application due to a failed DBS or CRB check – now what?  Task

A ‘disclosure and barring service’ (DBS) check is a list of your official history with the law (your criminal record). The DBS check used to be called the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.