Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu

The police are at my house with a warrant, what are my rights? Guide


The police have powers to enter and search your home. Usually this requires a warrant, but there are some instances where the police can enter your home without a warrant. 

A warrant usually gives the police the power to enter your house for one occasion only. Sometimes a magistrate will issue a warrant for multiple entries and searches. However, after the first entry, any further entries need to be approved by an officer of the rank of Inspector who is not involved in the investigation. 

Searches must be made at “a reasonable hour”, unless this might “frustrate the purpose of the search”. However, this still generally means dawn raids are common and considered reasonable. 

If the police raid your home, you should always seek legal assistance from a solicitor.  

Add a new comment