Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service
Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) is here to prevent victims by changing lives.
They work with there partners to carry out the sentences given by the courts, either in custody or the community.
They reduce reoffending by rehabilitating the people in their care through education and employment. The agency is made up of Her Majesty’s Prison Service, the National Probation Service and a headquarters focussed on creating tools and learning.
Within England and Wales, HMPPS are responsible for:
- running prison and probation services
- rehabilitation services for people in our care leaving prison
- making sure support is available to stop people reoffending
- contract managing private sector prisons and services such as:
- the prisoner escort service
- electronic tagging
Through HM Prison Service: they manage public sector prisons and the contract for private prisons in England and Wales.
Through the National Probation Service: they oversee probation delivery in England and Wales including through community rehabilitation companies.